Sunday, October 12, 2008

Author's Day

On Thursday I had a really enjoyable time talking to 120 1st-8th graders about being an author. I spoke in four different classes with two grades in each. The kids were very inquisitive and welcoming!




The 3rd and 4th grade class took notes the entire time I spoke, and then they all asked for an autograph on their notebooks.


I could hardly keep up with the 1st and 2nd graders input!



Holding up a penny, I asked the kids, "What could you buy for a penny?" They had a few ideas. When I held up a nickel, dime, then $1, $5 and $20, their eyes grew wide and there was no end to their suggestions. I asked how much their parents thought they--the children--were worth, and some said "a whole quarter," some said, "no, a dollar!" Eventually we decided they would pay a million or a trillion dollars for them. When I talked about my book, A Penny Parcel, and told them the orphans were thought to be worth only a penny, the kids listened with surprise.



Thanks, students and teachers of Clinton Christian!


And a side note for everyone else: if anyone knows of a school or works in a school that would like to host an author's day, I'd be happy to come. You can e-mail averyhitch@live.com.

1 comment:

Sue said...

aww that's really cool that you got to do that :)